Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10: Overall Project Reflection


SMART goal
My SMART goal: Over the next ten weeks I will use reusable water bottles 100% of the time when drinking water and other beverages such as coffee, sports drinks and juice and I will consume 8 glasses of water a day.  Over the course of the project I added the "consume 8 glasses of water a day" part because I wanted to challenge myself and drink more water through out the day.  
Successes 
Overall I believe that I was successful reaching my goal.  I was able to use a reusable water bottle the majority of the time and I significantly increased the amount of water I drink during the day.  I have also started drinking less soda, coffee, and sports drinks because they are no longer convenient.  
Challenges
I faced many challenges during this lifestyle change.  I found it the most difficult to stick with my goal when I was traveling and out of my normal environment.  I also had a difficult time drinking 8 glasses of water a day at the beginning but as with any lifestyle change it takes time.
Future
In the future I plan on sticking with this lifestyle change.  Using reusable containers and drinking more water has too many benefits to go back to the way I used to do things.  
Benefits
My personal benefits include: saving  money, saving on waste, less headaches, drinking less soda and sports drinks, and improving my overall health.   
 Behavior Change
I learned a lot about behavior change in general from this project.  I learned that it takes time and focus in order to change a behavior.  It took me awhile to steer away from bad habits and I had to constantly remind myself of my goal.  I also learned that if you stick with something it will continue to get easier until it is a new habit.
Environmental Benefits 

When deciding not to drink out of plastic bottles I also decided not to be a part of the following problems:


Americans will buy an estimated 25 billion single-serving, plastic water bottles this year. Eight out of 10 (22 billion) will end up in a landfill. 
-- Container Recycling Institute


Worldwide 2.7 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water each year. 
-- OneWorld 


1.5 million barrels of oil is used annually to produce plastic water bottles for America alone - enough to fuel some 100,000 U.S. cars for a year. 
-- Earth Policy Institute 








By drinking out of reusable containers I am lowering my carbon footprint and negative impact on the earth!

I Will Continue! 
I will continue to use reusable containers to drink water and coffee! I will also strive to drink 8 glasses of water a day.  
Recommendations
Stick with your goals and follow through! 
I suggest that everyone use re-usable water bottles to cut down on the amount of plastic we use and abuse.

  Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10 hosted by http://ecochicwithamy.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! I also like the facts you added toward the end of the post! It's great that you are going to stick with your lifestyle change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the facts that you uncluded..good for you for sticking with your goal!!

    ReplyDelete