Monday, November 2, 2009

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Terms
antiques/antiquing: An antique (antiquus; old) is an old collectible item. Antiquing is a shopping activity.

junk/junking: Waste, any undesired thing or substance or Scrap, recyclable waste used to build new things.

flea market: A market, usually held outdoors, where antiques, used household goods, and curios are sold.

thrift shop: A shop that sells used articles, especially clothing, as to benefit a charitable organization.

upcycling: The process of converting an industrial nutrient (material) into something of similar or greater value, in its second life. Aluminum and glass, for example, can usually be upcycled into the same quality of aluminum and glass as the original products.

resale shop: A shop that sells again something that has already been purchased.

What do the terms above have to do with environmental health?
They all have to do with using the resources we already have instead of buying new products.  If we reuse things and stop relying on new products it will save the amount of emissions and chemicals that it takes to produce new items.

Local resources


antiques/antiquing: Canal Park Antique Center
Location: 310 S Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 
Contact info: (218) 720-3940‎


junk/junking: Junkologie 
Location: Wisconsin
Contact info: alvn.mail@gmail.com


flea market: Shady Hallow 
Location: Detroit Lakes, MN (my home town)
Contact info:  adhanson@gmail.com or call 218.847.9488


thrift shop: Savers 
Location: Duluth, MN near target
Contact info:(218) 722-1894


upcycling: Green Mercantie (many upcycled and green products)

Location: Duluth, MN Superior Street
Contact Info: (218) 722-1771


resale shop: Dannie Duluth
Location: 932 E 4th St, Duluth, MN‎ 
Contact info: (218) 724-850


When I lived at home I would go to the flea market with my mom all the time! I have also been to savers and to Dannie Duluth but I have never purchased anything from these stores.  I realize that I do not take advantage of second hand stores and after doing this assignment I have realized that there are a lot of cool things out there to find!

Organ Pipe Photo Holders
I thought this was a very cool project! I love pictures and this was such a unique way to display them.  I also love organs and these old wooden pipes are gorgeous.





















Pick Another Daisy
This is so COOL! She took an ice cream cone holder and transformed it into a candle holder, vase, and a place to store office supplies.  Have candles all over my room and this would be a nice way to organize them.  Plus, it would save on my electric bill if I lit my place with candles.



I thought that this was a very thoughtful way to welcome a guest.  It is an old bread loaf pan.  I would never think that it could be used for veggies, office supplies and a welcoming gift but I guess it just takes a little imagination. :)






3 comments:

  1. This eye opener really made me want to get out there and reuse things, especially after looking at all the different projects that people made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all your pictures! It definitely makes it easier to follow along. Your post is very well organized too! good job Jordanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. I really liked the 'Pick Another Daisy' idea!

    ReplyDelete