Thursday, November 19, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 9 & 10

Week 9
During class this week we discussed the topic of advocacy.  The power point was very helpful in explaining what advocacy is.  Our group did a skit to explain to the class what advocacy has to do with the 7 responsibilities of a health educator.  We also talked about our political representative posts.  It was fun to research who my representatives are and to collect their contact information.  I was able to reach my lifestyle change goal this week by drinking 8 glasses of water a day!  

Week  10



My favorite part of class this week was watching the documentary "Unnatural Causes."  So far this has been my favorite video we have watched in class because it directly related to my major.  It is crazy to me that the amount of money you make is correlated with life expectancy.  It just doesn't seem fair!  I also think it is sad that children can be born into a situation and their life can be cut short just because their parents don't own their own house.  Their obviously needs to be a change. We also did another advocacy post and I chose to address water quality.  I am excited to get more involved and try to make a positive change.  

3 comments:

  1. Unnatural Causes has been one of my favorite videos we have watched too! I also though it was fun to look up our political representatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think feel so bad for kids that are born into less desirable situtions. From what we watched in the movie it would seem to me to be very difficult for the children to be able to rise above their sitution because of limited resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was one of my favorites as well, its something that we don't often think about. It definitely made me thankful of what the environment in which I grew up in!

    ReplyDelete