Friday, November 27, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 5: Fourth quarter of Omnivore's Dilemma



















This section of the book is titled Hunting. It covers chapters 18-20 and pages 334-411. In this section the author talks about his experience with hunting and making the "perfect" meal of a hunter-gatherer.

Facts:

Hunter/Gatherer: A hunter/gatherer society is one whose primary method substinence method is directy taking food from the environment or animals without the domesitcation of either. 
This section was less factual information and more of a look into the thoughts of the author and his experience with hunting.  He was eventully able to shoot and kill a pig for his meal but it didn't come easy.  This section also talked about his rewarding experience killing/gathering his own food and making a meal from scratch. 

Implications:

I thought this section was important for the book becuase it shows the amount of work that is required to make your own authentic meal without all of the packaging, chemicals, and processing of most of the food we eat today.  I enjoyed getting to see the thought process of a first time hunter.  I have never shot anything and im not sure I ever will but it seems like it would be a good experience if done for the right reasons.  The author also talked about the difference between his "slow" meal compared to eating a fast-food meal.  He said that they are extreme examples of the way we engage with the world that sustains us.

2 comments:

  1. My grandpa is a big time deer hunter and he actually processes all the venison himself. He makes things like jerky, vension meat, beef sticks, and a variety of other things. It is actually really cool to watch him process his own food. I think it makes you appreciate it more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hailey, even though I don't hunt/ eat meat, when I make myself a meal completely from scratch I appreciate it so much more than when I just microwave myself one! It tastes better too! :)

    ReplyDelete