Sunday, November 29, 2009

Share & Voice: Buy Nothing Day

















** Watch this Video of The Daily Show where Jon Steward makes fun of Black Friday.
















Instead of participating in the shopping frenzy of Black Friday this year I took part in another tradition called Buy Nothing Day. The idea behind Buy Nothing Day is to take a break from the mass consumerism that usually takes place the day after Thanksgiving.  People are asked to focus on things such as the environment and climate change.

‘Buy Nothing Day highlights the environmental and ethical consequences of shopping. The developed countries – only 20% of the world population are consuming over 80% of the earth’s natural resources, causing a disproportionate level of environmental damage and an unfair distribution of wealth.’

-buynothinguk


I have never liked the idea of Black Friday... getting up in the middle of the night to stand in a line never seemed like a lot of fun.  When I heard about Buy Nothing Day I thought it was a great chance to skip Black Friday and do something better with my time. SLEEP! The day was much more relaxing and for once I wasn't being a consumer.


3 comments:

  1. Ahh this is awesome! I agree, black friday doesn't seem like that much fun to me either! This sounds really cool! Very nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I gave you the super star blogger! Its located on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete